Saturday, July 3, 2010

Assignment 5: Beginning the Job Search

If I were to start looking for a job within the next six months these are some examples of what I would look for:

-The first job opportunity comes from the Audobon Zoo located in New Orleans, La. It is an unpaid internship that is geared toward getting experience rather than a profit. In the internship the student will work closely with the bird staff learning how to provide proper animal care, exhibit upkeep, record keeping, etc. The internship will last a minimum of 12 weeks and can be done at any time of the year. A commitment of four mornings a week is required. The intern must be at least 18 years old and able to lift 50 pounds. Considering that almost all zoo jobs require previous zoo experience, this internship is a great opportunity.

-The second opportunity is Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium’s Animal Care and Research Program. Internships are around 14 weeks long and can be done in one of the four seasons that they are offered: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Mote is a nonprofit research institution. Therefore, the positions are unpaid. However, scholarships are available. Participants must have a background in zoology, animal behavior, psychology, ecology, or biology. Participants must also be able to swim strongly and be able to lift at least 50 pounds. Interns will work directly with the staff doing day-to-day things such as food preparation, water quality testing, and cleaning. Participants will care for the resident manatees, sea turtles, and dolphins that live at Mote Aquarium.

-The third option is to attend veterinary school to further my education. Since I was young I’ve always wanted to become a veterinarian. Getting into veterinary school is very competitive. If I were to apply to vet school I would apply to my in-state school, Mississippi State University. MSU’s vet school was first established in 1974. The first class was accepted in the fall of 1977 and graduated in May of 1981. Students who successfully complete the four-year program obtain a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. The school is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.

-The fourth and final option is a entry-level microbiologist position located in Minnesota. Applicants must have completed a Bachelors degree in either Microbiology or Biology. They must also be familiar with standard techniques and instrumentation. Gram staining, plate streaking, and using aseptic techniques are some examples of what the microbiologist will be responsible for knowing how to do.

As far as my experience and what qualifications I possess, I would say I’m a good candidate for each of these opportunities. For the two internships, I am able to lift at least fifty pounds without a problem. Also, the job I currently have would allow me the necessary time for the internships. I have previous experience working with animals. I am familiar with the safety issues surrounding wild and exotic animals from volunteering briefly in the past at a local zoo. I feel as though I am a hard worker and I love working with animals. Therefore, I think I would be perfect for either of those internships. Also, I believe I would be an ideal candidate for being accepted into veterinary school. I have worked in two vet clinics in the past and also volunteered at my local animal shelter for over a year’s time. I have the GPA and the prerequisites required for acceptance. As far as the entry- level microbiologist job, currently I do not have a Bachelors degree in Biology. I will obtain that in May, though. I have experience working in a lab and performing the various tests that was outlined in the advertisement such as gram staining and plate streaking.

I think the position that is best suited for me would be the first one. It is located in New Orleans, which is reasonably close to me. It provides a great amount of experience. If I wanted to be a zoologist instead of a veterinarian then I would have that necessary experience required to do so. And if I ever decided to apply to vet school that internship would be a great addition of animal experience. I also like the fact that it is involved with the avian aspect of the zoo, which is something that I have a lot of interest in as I have 2 parrots of my own. I would first fill out the application form located on the site and then submit a resume and cover letter. My resume would include my animal-related experience such as my previous employment with veterinary clinics and my volunteer experience making these stand out more than my previous sales experience. The cover letter would include my positive feelings on the Audobon Nature Institute as a whole and, in particular, the Zoo. I would also discuss my general interests in the bird exhibit for which I would be applying. I would also mention what I would hope to gain from the internship experience and how it would be a great step in gaining a related career in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment