Friday, June 4, 2010

Assignment 1: Introduction

Hi! *waves* My name is Brittney Luna. I am a senior at the University of Southern Mississippi majoring in biology. I am originally from Cleveland, Mississippi. Before transferring to USM I attended Delta State University for my freshman year. After graduating I hope to get a Master's degree in medical technology. I have not had any English classes at USM because I took everything that I needed (aside from this class) at Delta State. That being said, I transferred over two years ago, therefore I have not had an English class in the past two and a half years. However, I have had to write quite a few papers within my major at USM, all of them being the dreaded lab reports for my chemistry classes. Many people may find that they love writing about scientific procedures. I am not one of those people. Over the past few years I have developed an immense hatred for writing about any kind of scientific instructions, procedures, etc. I find it very boring and too time consuming than what it’s worth. Aside from writing about science, I love to write! One of my favorite things to do is writing letters to friends back home or who have moved off. I could write letters all day long if I had the time! I just find that letter writing is so personal and, in a way, special because no one handwrites letters anymore. Letter writing is a big stress reliever for me. I can be upset about something and write to a friend and by the end of the letter I always feel better about whatever was bothering me before.

The award for “a document that I find most difficult to write” would go to (you guessed it) lab reports!! This is a terrible thing because it’s what I’m going to have to write even after I graduate. Writing a lab report is something that definitely “breaks me down”. First of all, there are several different sections that go into the report such as the introduction, procedures, results, and conclusion. Second of all, the information is already hard enough to understand by reading and now you have to write and explain it to others! (In thorough detail I might add!) I’m usually a complete mess by the time the report is finished. I dread writing reports so procrastination also comes into play. However, I always push through it and get it done. I’m hoping that through this course I will be able to somehow develop a love, or at least a tolerance, for writing within my major.

No comments:

Post a Comment